October 21, 2009

Lady Liberty

I don't sew.
But I also don't like to spend much on halloween costumes.
I don't have a problem borrowing costumes from people.
Who have clearly spent money.
I just don't want to spend the money myself.
I'm cheap that way.

Three years ago Brookie wanted to be the Statue of Liberty.
Here's what we came up with.
It was super easy.
I found the flat sheet at a discount store.
Just wrapped it around her
and safety pinned it in a few places.

The torch is a paper towel tube,
and a paper bowl with a hole cut thru the bottom
and some orange and yellow tissue paper stuffed in the tube.

The crown was a paper plate cut out big enough
to fit her head like a headband.
And spikes cut out of posterboard and stapled to the paper plate.

The tablet was a big hunk of styrofoam.
I etched the date July IV MDCCLXXVI on it.

The torch, crown and tablet were spray painted to match the sheet.
Warning: the spray paint does eat the styrofoam a little.

We found some witchy/monster face paint.
It was the perfect color to paint her face.
By the way, we don't do scary, gory, evil costumes.
Yucky, I say.
And there you have it.
A cheap, fun, cute, easy costume.
She LOVED it.

2 comments:

Jody said...

How clever are you!!! That is fantastic!

Julie Ann Events said...

so cute! i love it! i just got done making all of our halloween costumes today. i think home-made ones are so much more original!