October 06, 2009

Soup's On

Fall is a great time for soup.
Ryan is not crazy about it.
But he often is at the mercy of my whims.
And sometimes soup is my whim.

Here's one that I created a couple of weeks ago.
My kids all liked it.
That's pretty amazing.
We'll call it Rice and Ham Soup.
Because coming up with creative names
is really not my thing.
So, if any of you have a great name.
Let me know.

Also, this might be a little unconventional.
I don't cook normally.
So I will tell you what I did.
Change it however you want.
That's the beauty of recipes.

My hubby's aunt heard this quote the other day:
"A recipe is a map,
if you want to have more fun,
go off the map."

I must like to have a lot of fun.
I go off the map all the time.

And, without any further ado.

Rice and Ham Soup
1 box long grain and wild rice (I used Kroger)
4 cups water
2 tsp. chicken bouillon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup milk
1 cup diced ham
1 cup frozen corn

Four hours or so before serving place rice, seasoning packet from rice, water and bouillon in crock pot on low. About one hour before serving, cook onion and green pepper in microwave for 1 minute. Add to crock pot along with milk, ham and corn. Total cooking time about 4 hours.


There it is.
Pretty simple.
You could probably add it all in at the beginning.
But this is the way I made it.

Oh, and I actually used banana pepper.
Instead of green pepper.
Because I have them growing like crazy in my garden.
But I'm sure green pepper will be fabulous in it.
And I don't know how easy it is
to get banana peppers in the grocery store.

Let me know if you try it another way.
Or with an added ingredient.
It would be good with cheese in it too.
Swiss, maybe?
Yummy.

And I'm serious about a name for it.
Ideas, please.
There's gotta be something better than
Rice and Ham Soup.
b.o.r.i.n.g.

1 comment:

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

You're one wild and crazy chick, subsituting the green pepper with banana pepper. ;-)

Looks yummy!

I make tons of soups in fall and winter too. I don't follow a recipe, just toss stuff in. Fortunately my husband likes it. The kids moan, but they can always make themselves a pb&j if they want.

No name from me, sorry! My creativity is zapped.