March 09, 2010

A Recipe with Some Randomness Thrown In

Well, we're back at it.
Between the older two we have 5-6 soccer practices a week.
Lucky for me that a few of those are
same day, same place and nearly same time.

If I don't have something in the oven or crockpot
before we go to practice
the temptation to eat out would be too much.
Would not be good on our wallet or our waists.
Especially mine which seems to have expanded over the winter.
My waist, sadly, not my wallet.

What is it about cold weather that just makes me want to eat?
And eat.
And eat.
I keep telling myself summer is coming...
You will be sorry...
That swimsuit will not fit...
Talking to myself doesn't seem to be working.
I keep eating.

Back to having something in the oven:
Not that I cook the healthiest.
I somehow think cream of anything soups are
not high on nutritionists things to eat.
But they sure do make about anything taste good.
And they are nearly a major food group in our house.

These are the two I used in the recipe below.
I obviously am no respecter of brands.
I will buy whatever is cheapest.
If cream of onion soup came in the Value brand
it would be in my cupboard as a staple.
As it is, that was the first time I had bought it.
Campbell's soups were on sale.
And I had a coupon.

I had never seen cream of onion soup.
You can only imagine my excitement.
I really like onion.
Really like it.
Jake does not.
Really doesn't.
He picks through his food all the time.
Looking for chopped onion.
I'm getting irritated just thinking about it.

When I saw that soup, I thought:
Ha!
I've got him!
I'll fool him now!

I didn't know what I was going to use it in.
Couldn't recall a recipe that called for cream of onion soup.
So, I made up my own.
I really wanted to put cream of celery in too.
Instead of cream of mushroom.
But I didn't have it.

This is what I came up with.
Not sure if these are the exact amounts I used.
I just boiled two chicken breasts.
Cooked some rice.
And threw it all in a bowl.
So I tried to make it sound like I knew what I was doing.

Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
2-3 cups cooked, diced chicken
3 cups cooked white rice
1 pkg. frozen chopped broccoli
2 cans cream of ____ soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz. diced Velveeta cheese

Mix all ingredients together. Put in greased 9x13 pan. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
It worked!
Jake had no idea it was oniony.
In fact, all 4 of my kids liked it!
No comments about the broccoli even.
They've asked me when I'm making it again.
Hooray for me!

1 comment:

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Mmmm, I haven't made this in ages. I need to again!