January 18, 2013

Love Jesus Today and a Kiss

As I've said before,
I don't do new year's resolutions.
Why set myself up for failure?
I'm bad at following through on things.
Terrible at it, really.

So I learned long ago not to make them.
Within a week, or so, I've blown it anyway.

But the Holy Spirit has shown me 3 things already this year.
Areas in my spiritual life that are lacking or where there's sin.
Areas that I need to commit to work on/change.

Monday afternoon I was sweeping my floor.
Pondering my Bible study for the next day.
Suddenly, completely convicted by how little I pray for my kiddos.

This is hard for me to admit.
If I love God.
And love my kids.
Why am I not praying for them more?
You would think that would be the #1 thing to do, right?

It's easy to pray for them when things are rough.
When I'm frustrated with them.
Or when they are struggling with something in life.
Or when I see a yucky attitude or heart issue.
But the everyday.
That's when I...forget...

Everyday I send them out the door,
well, the older two anyway,
with a kiss on the cheek.
Then, as they are walking across the yard,
I holler at them:
Love Jesus today!

Immediately I turn back into the house
and rush the little boys to finish getting ready.
The older two quickly forgotten 
as I search for shoes, 
sign planners, 
finish packing a lunch,
wrestle with coats, hats and gloves.

Then it's out the door we run.
Walking as quickly as I can
with a 5 and 8 year old
across the yard or down the sidewalk.
(we always seem to leave the house
a couple minutes later than we should).

At the door to each boys' classroom,
I give them a kiss on the cheek,
tell them I love them
and head back out the door for my solo walk home.
Thinking about my day.
What needs to be done.
What's for supper.
How am I getting everyone to this practice or that practice.
Blah, blah, blah.

This imperfect mom 
had sent her imperfect kiddos
out of our imperfect house
into an imperfect world.
And was foolishly thinking
Love Jesus today!
and a kiss on the cheek
was enough.

Not nearly.

So thankful the Holy Spirit breaks through sometimes.
In spite of me and my foolishness.
It's only by the grace of God.

Now, each day,
as I kiss them,
I try to say a small prayer.
Of some sort.

Lord, show Jobie how to be kind today. 
Father, help Ezzie 
to show Your love 
to someone in his class today.
Lord, Jakie needs to
feel Your presence today.
Please show Yourself to him.
Father, give Brookie the courage 
to love the "unloved" or "unpopular" today.
I know there will be days I forget.
Days I'm rushing around like a crazy lady.
Days I'm crabby.
Days I'm just not thinking.

Thankful the Lord is gracious.
He won't let me, or my lack of prayer,
get in the way of accomplishing His will in their lives.
But I so want to be an instrument
to help draw them closer to Him.

So, I will pray.
Lots more.

8 comments:

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Good good good stuff right here.

Leslie Veer said...

been there. many times. fall down. get back up again. thank You, Jesus, for Your grace and forgiveness.

Amy said...

Love this.
Love you.
So, so much.
And miss you... Of course.

Danielle said...

What a great reminder! I'm not so good at praying for my kids either. Thank you for your sweet and gentle reminder. You're the best!!!

Mica said...

Loved that! Thanks for sharing.

Casey said...

Wonderful message! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Stormie Omartin has written some great books about being a praying wife and a praying parent.

vegahelp said...

"But the everyday.
That's when I...forget..."

Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ. ~C. S. Lewis